Working Group on Environmental Auditing (WGEA)
INTOSAI Working Group on Environmental Auditing (WGEA) was established during the INCOSAI XIV Meeting on October 1992 in Washington D.C., United States of America. WGEA which was first chaired by Algemene Rekenkamer (SAI of Netherlands) has great concern in improving the role of SAIs in solvng the environmental problems and encourages SAIs performing environmental audit.
BPK was officially become a member of WGEA in 1998 and become part of Steering Committee Members by 2004.
Continuing the active participations during its membership, BPK was officially appointed as the Chair and Secretariat of INTOSAI WGEA for the period of 2014-2019 during the INCOSAI XXI Meeting in Beijing, China in October 2013.
The Working Group has 77 SAIs as members and has actively published many Audit Guidances/Research Projects related to Environmental Issues.
Before serving as the Chair, BPK has involved in several projects done by WGEA, namely:
- Leading a project of developing a Guidance Material on Auditing Forestry during 2007-2010;
- Involved in the INTOSAI WGEA Global Coordinated Audit on Climate Change during 2007-2010;
- Involved as subcommittee member on Research Projects on Land Use/Land Management Practices (led by SAI of Morocco) and developing Guidance Material on Fraud and Corruption in Environmental Auditing (led by SAI of Norway) during 2011-2013.
Currently, BPK is working on Work Plan 2014-2016 which included:
- 7 research projects (Renewable Energy, Energy Saving, Environmental Impact Assessment, Market Based Instruments for Environmental Protection and Management, Greening the SAIs, Government responses to a marine environment impacted by climate change: Creative and innovative strategies used by SAIs and How to increase the quality and impact of environmental audits);
- ISSAI Review Project (ISSAI 5110-5140);
- Updating Waste Audit Guidance;
- Trainings on Forestry Audit held in Indonesia and Environmental Auditing Training in iCED, India;
- Annual Audit Collection;
- Greenlines Newsletter;
- 8th Survey on Environmental Audit.